May 26, 2006
Yahoos Are Surprisingly Polite!
As I mentioned earlier this month, our group just moved into a new building. One of my coworkers, who we'll call "Dave", had a meeting right after the move-in. It struck him that all the whiteboards in the new conference room were completely pristine... and this situation could not stand!
So Dave drew a diagram on the whiteboard. It consisted of:
- A cylinder, with an arrow pointing to...
- a box, with an arrow pointing to...
- a cloud labeled, "The Internet"
- a stick figure person or two
- several other boxes surrounding the diagram labeled, "Deliverables"
- and finally, a big "DO NOT ERASE" message next to the diagram.
Lo and behold, the diagram is still there weeks later. Isn't it is amazing how respectful people are of the "DO NOT ERASE"? It really restores one's faith in humanity, doesn't it? Unless... well, the alternative theory is that nobody has had time to erase the diagram because they're too busy polishing up their resumes, pronto. ("My God, honey... did I tell you what I saw on a whiteboard today? I'm surrounded by total idiots!")